Skip to main content

Warning Signs of Thyroid Nodules

Warning Signs of Thyroid Nodules

You probably don’t give much thought to your thyroid — a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck — yet the hormones this gland produces control important functions, such as metabolism, heart rate, and body temperature. 

So, when you learn that up to half of people have thyroid nodules, you begin to understand that the symptoms of such a condition can be hard to ignore. Luckily, most of these nodules — about 90% — are clinically insignificant, but the remaining 10% do become problematic.

At Houston Sinus Surgery, ear, nose, and throat experts Dr. Cecil Yeung and Dr. Marcus Hershey have considerable experience helping patients with problematic thyroid nodules.

To help you figure out whether you might have symptomatic nodules, we’re going to review this condition and its possible warning signs.

Thyroid nodule basics

As we mentioned, thyroid nodules are incredibly common and, thankfully, most people are unaware that the condition even exists. This is because nodules, which can be growths of thyroid tissue or fluid-filled cysts, are typically quite small and mostly benign.

That said, thyroid cancer is found in 8% of the thyroid nodules in men and 4% in women. While this risk is small, it’s still worth understanding the warning signs of problematic thyroid growths because, as with all cancers, early detection can make a big difference.

Recognizing a problematic thyroid nodule

Thyroid nodules can cause very different symptoms, depending on the effect that the growth has on the gland and its function.

In most cases, a nodule makes itself known if it grows too large, which can lead to:

You can sometimes see a visible lump in the front of your neck.

In rare cases, a thyroid nodule becomes toxic — a toxic adenoma — which means it produces extra thyroid hormones. When this happens, you can develop hyperthyroidism, which can lead to:

Even more rare than a toxic adenoma is when a thyroid nodule interferes with thyroid hormone production, which can lead to symptoms that are the opposite of hyperthyroidism, such as fatigue and weight gain.

Next steps for problematic thyroid nodules

Please see us if you recognize any of the symptoms we described above. After reviewing your symptoms, we use advanced imaging to check for thyroid nodules. If we find one or more, we develop the best treatment plan.

For example, if the nodule is large and interfering with function in your neck, we may recommend removing the growth. Of course, the tissues are tested after removal to check for abnormal or cancerous cells.

If you have a small, toxic thyroid nodule, we may recommend placing you on medications that can control your hyperthyroidism.

Before we dive any further into treatment options, let’s put first things first: You should schedule an evaluation with us if you think you might have a problematic thyroid nodule. To get started, please call 832-648-4792 or book an appointment online with Houston Sinus Surgery today.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Why Do I Keep Getting Sinus Infections?

Nearly 29 million adults in the United States are diagnosed with chronic sinusitis, which are infections that can make you feel pretty miserable when they’re in full swing. Here, we explore some of the reasons behind chronic sinusitis

Are Nasal Polyps a Serious Health Concern?

While nasal polyps may sound like a worrisome condition, the good news is that, medically speaking, these benign growths don’t pose a serious threat. Still, nasal polyps can become problematic and warrant treatment.

Fix Your Deviated Septum and More with a Nose Job

You have a deviated septum that you’d like to correct, and you also wouldn’t mind making a few cosmetic changes to your nose. Called a septorhinoplasty, here’s how we can improve form and function at the same time.

4 Signs of a Deviated Septum

You likely don’t give all that much thought to your septum, which is that small piece of tissue that separates your nostrils. However, if this tissue is considerably off-center, it can lead to issues that will get your attention.