Houston Sinus Surgery at the Yeung Institute is dedicated to helping our patients breathe deeply and live fully – free from sinusitis symptoms. If you are muddling through with sinus problems including sinus pressure, pain and headaches, schedule an appointment today. Houston-based ENT doctor and top sinus specialist, Cecil Yeung, M.D., has more than 20 years of experience in diagnosing and treating the underlying causes of chronic sinusitis. As a top doctor of balloon sinuplasty in Houston, Dr. Yeung is known for his meticulous surgical techniques, technical precision, and high success rate.
What is Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon sinuplasty is a minimally invasive procedure for treating chronic or recurrent sinusitis, a condition characterized by inflammation of the sinuses. This advanced treatment opens up blocked or narrow sinus passages to relieve sinus pain and pressure associated with chronic sinusitis, without the need for cutting. During the procedure, natural sinus openings and surrounding tissue are all preserved.
Who is a good candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty?
People who have chronic sinusitis that has not responded well to medications are good candidates for this procedure. Chronic sinusitis is defined as a sinus infection that lasts for more than 12 weeks.
Additionally, you could be considered a good candidate for Balloon Sinuplasty if you have:
- Persistent nasal congestion and discolored drainage from the nose
- Chronic sinus headaches
- Chronic sore throat with hoarseness
- A history of four or more cases of acute sinusitis in one year
What does the Balloon Sinuplasty procedure involve?
Balloon Sinuplasty procedure can be performed on an outpatient basis at our state-of-the-art surgery center, ensuring maximum patient comfort, convenience and privacy. Depending on your needs, Dr. Yeung will recommend either general or local anesthetic for the procedure. The FDA-approved procedure involves the use of tiny balloons to open sinus blockages, similar to how angioplasty uses balloons to open blocked coronary arteries.
There are four steps involved in the procedure:
- A tiny balloon catheter is inserted through the nostril and into the inflamed sinus.
- Once the tube is in place, the tiny balloon is slowly inflated to expand the sinus opening. This effectively opens up the sinus passage and restructures it so that the sinuses can drain more easily, but it is gentle enough that it does not harm the delicate sinus lining.
- Saline solution is sprayed into the sinus cavity to help flush out built-up pus and mucus that has been trapped in the cavity.
- The balloon is deflated and carefully removed, leaving the sinus passage open and able to drain properly.
What are the advantages of Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon Sinuplasty procedure in Houston offers a number of advantages, which include:
- Minimally invasive procedure performed in-office
- Clinically proven to be a safe and effective treatment for sinusitis
- No cutting involved
- Quick recovery time has you back to normal activities within 1-2 days
- Can be used with other medical therapies or sinus surgery options
- Does not limit future treatment options if you have a progressive disease
- Allows you to break free from sinusitis symptoms and sinus medications that are not working
A balloon sinuplasty is not the right procedure for everyone. We urge our patients to speak to Dr. Yeung about the pros and cons of this device.